Pages

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Best week so far

So this post is a day late, mainly due to the fact that the format of the lecture/lab I usually write this in had changed! As the title eludes to this has in fact been a great week in terms of both distance covered and getting other things done.

I have managed to clock up just under 17 miles pounding the pavement this week. The most by far that I have ever run in that short a time frame. This included a solo 10k that disappointingly came in at less than a second over the hour mark as well as my first park run early on Saturday morning at Rushcliffe (see the photo below for my unique blind running style!) The event was as the website promised, well enough organised, efficient and everyone there was friendly and supportive, which is made even more impressive by the fact that it costs nothing but your time to register and the cost of printing out your personal bar code to enter.


 Also managed to get out on the bike this week scouting out the route from home to Holme Pierrepont where I like to run. The route is 90% tarmac with a small well packed off road section near the run. Looking at the bike distance (56 miles) and allotted time (4 hours) means that I need to ride at at least 14 mph all the way round to come in under the cut off.  Which at the moment is faster than I think I can do, so I need to do some work in improving my form and endurance on the bike which can only be done with seeing a trainer and getting some time on the bike done as well.

So to that end I've ordered more stuff (because pouring money at this is the way to get better right?) Which include a set of road shoes and peddles as well as a few other bits from chain reaction.  Also went out and got a new inner tube for my bike (evident from the fact I've been out on it) but have still to sign up to the pool to start any kind of swimming training!


On kit that has already arrived my new watch and heart rate monitor (above) works really well although seeing what heart rate that I can get myself up to doing relatively little is sometimes worrying. Also my Tri suit arrived which fits really well luckily for an internet clothes order and looks interesting to say the least on!

So looking forward hopefully more shiny things will turn up over the next few weeks and be fitted to bikes etc. There is still a need to go get in the pool or some open water (going to be cold this time of year!) and start that part of my training. All in all its going better and if can repeat this weeks performance again i will be more than happy with the ways things are progressing.

2 comments:

  1. Good effort. Make sure not to increase your miles too much more per week, or increase the frequency of your runs too much or you'll start to break! Believe me, I broke myself in the run up to the New York marathon by running 4 times in 4 days once. Knees said "no". 14mph on the bike wont be too tough on a nice bike on smooth, flat surface. I average that going to work through traffic and over potholes the size of small dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea towards the end of that set i was starting to ache even when not running, ive taken 3 rest days from running and just done a small amount of biking instead so far this week. Need to get out and try parts of the route to see what the road is like but shouldn't be to bad in that case then!

      Delete