Pages

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

One Week In

That time has come again yes that's right 2 hour of maths and graphics lecture so it must be time for another blog post. So a week into what should be a fat busting, muscle building regime I would say i'm doing OK. now this would preferably be 'i'm doing really well' but there is no point in kidding myself and you can't have everything! 

Its been a week of setbacks and other commitments as well, I know excuses are excuses but between an inner tube that decided to split and let itself down shortly after a 2 hour session on the bike and starting a new job a Morrison's and spending 8-5 on inductions both days of the weekend i don't think I've actually done to badly. 

For those of you who might be interested in either seeing where and what times i'm running or could give any advice on what i'm doing my Strava  profile will have most of my runs on it, that being said I sometimes forget to turn it on and/or my phones flat so its not a complete log by any accounts. 

So for this week i have only managed spent 2 hours on the bike in the turbo trainer before it decided to give up on me so my aim for the next few days is to get out and get a new tube at some point, this though brings me nicely onto one of my fears of the event. What if my bike fails to make it the 56 miles of the course? Now making my body do that much physical exertion and still cross the finish line is another problem all together, i'm talking about failing kit. My bike, though not awful, is still a base level Halford's road bike and i need to get out on the road and put it through some longer rides to see if it is going to be A) comfortable enough to do that kind of distance and B) if it will take the abuse. 

One thing that is going really well is the running, having done 4 morning runs in the last week i have figured out a nice 2 mile loop from my house i have done 2 x 2 mile runs and 2 x 4 miles (twice round the route). Luckily i managed to maintain some running form from when i ran the 10k and this has meant i have found these runs (almost) enjoyable and will be looking to repeat and extend the distances this coming week. Now a quick look at pace times tells me that i 'could' run at just under 13 minuets 45 seconds a mile and still  scrape in under the time limit obviously i would be looking to not be that close to the cut off but we shall see how the training progresses!

Having been over to the local pool/gym during the weekend and will be looking to start going some point over the next week, they do an early morning swim so the plan is currently (depending on how many days a week i can take running in the morning) to use these sessions as run rest days and do a swim to bike morning session instead. 

Laying out the plan for the coming week. First fix and do some more time/miles on the bike, continue and extend the run to start getting some miles under my belt and finally get in the pool and learn how to swim again. On that note i would like to thank Activities Away for allowing me to swim in the lake a few times to try out open water swimming and the support from the staff there in starting this madness! 

Now comes a bit of a ask from anyone who actually reads this! I am completely new to all of this even in the running i only have the base that the guys at my work placement helped me to form. So any advice, training tips or 'I found this really helpful' information would be greatly appreciated from you! 

Again until next time.

Alex 

No comments:

Post a Comment